Harley Davidson, these two words only are capable of making you daydream about breathtaking landscapes, a powerful roar of the engine and maybe a good company. It's unbelievable how many fans in the world adore this brand and can count on it. It's a real icon in its field. The Harleys could not be so fast like the competitors. But if a touring bike is what you seek, a Harley Davidson is still one of the best choices for you.
Chances are, if you are reading this page now, you are interested in buying one of these street-dinosaurs. And if you want to avoid bad deals and unpleasant surprises, you have to do a Harley Davidson VIN check.
In other words, you have to check the VIN number of the bike and decipher it. But what a VIN actually is? And, what information can it give to me?
Basically, a VIN number is an identification number given to every motorized vehicle, a sort of its fingerprint. If you decode it, you can discover such information as the year of production, the manufacturer, engine type, equipment and other useful info.
How Can I Decode This Number?
It is necessary to make a clear distinction between the different models by dividing them into three groups by year.
- 1st Group - The first group includes bikes from 1930 to 1969. They have a code made up by 8 signs: the first two signs specified the manufacture year, the next two the bike model and the last signs are the production number. This number can be easily decoded by yourself.
- 2nd Group - The second group includes bikes from 1970 to 1980. They have a code made up by 9 signs which gives you the same basic information you get in the first group. Like the other one, it can be decoded by yourself too.
- 3rd Group - The third group includes bikes from 1980 to nowadays. They have a code made up by 17 signs and it can be decoded by our free Harley Davidson VIN checker. Almost always, you will find the VIN code on the frame.
When considering the purchase of any used Harley Davidson, it is obligatory to check the VIN number and make sure it matches with the one on the documents. Nevertheless, printing errors are frequent in manufacturing. So, don't panic if the numbers don't match. Sometimes going to you nearest office of motor vehicles could solve the situation.
If the Harley's VIN number on the frame doesn't match with the one on the documents, the bike is not legally registered. Even if the VIN number on the engine does match with the one on the documents. Concerning legal registration, only the frame VIN is applicable. That's really important if you don't want to take any risk.
Harley Davidson VIN History
Figuring out a Harley Davidson VIN history it's very simple with our easy-to-use VIN checker. Just follow these really simple steps.
- Find the VIN number of the Harley in question, usually on the frame;
- Type the number into our VIN checker paying attention to every digit. We suggest you double-check the number to make sure you've typed it properly (it could save you unnecessary incomprehension with the seller);
- Click on the Check VIN button and wait a few seconds;
- Now you can benefit from being up to date with all the information about the bike you are evaluating.
It's definitely easy to use, and very fast. So, don't wait any longer and take advantage of this useful tool.